Saturday, July 20, 2013

Taking on Disney World!

I have to hand it to Disney, they offer a variety of options to families looking to vacation with them.

When I was a kid, Disney World wasn't nearly as big.  When my parents brought us down in the mid eighties, we stayed at a Days Inn for a week and spent time at Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Sea World.

The next time I went to Disney World was in 1999 - by then the fact that was given often was that there were so many options, just on Disney property, for eating, staying, and entertainment, that it would take more than six weeks of never doing the same thing twice to get around to experiencing everything that Walt Disney World had to offer.

Since becoming a mama, I've made sure that we have, for all our Disney vacations, stayed on property.  Miss A and I have enjoyed the hospitality of Disney's Boardwalk, the AllStar Movies Resort, the Pop Century Resort, and Disney's Fort Wilderness.  When I decided to bring both A and EJ to Disney World this year, I chose to book with Ft. Wilderness again. 

We chose to share this Disney adventure with friends, another single mama (N) and her two children, H (her 13 year old daughter) and M (her 9 year old son).  The six of us drove down to Florida and camped in the tenting section of Ft. Wilderness.  Going into it, we knew that it was going to be an adventure.  Tent camping in Florida in July? How could it possibly not be an adventure?

Don't get me wrong, the camping at Disney World is possibly the nicest camping I've ever experienced.  Every site is flat, level, clear, close to the comfort stations, equipped with water and electricity.  And it's Disney World - all the people who work there are so pleasant; but it's camping, too, so there's more a sense of community and camaraderie that one would find in a regular hotel-resort.  In short, there's a lot of friendliness going on there!

And so, on July 3rd, N and I found ourselves putting up tents and beginning our Disney adventure with four wild and crazy kiddos...

For eight days and seven nights, this was the home base of our adventures - and goodness gracious, there were a lot of adventures to be had at Disney World!

1 comment:

  1. Adorable pic! Love it. I'm so glad you had this adventure - my husband remembers fondly camping at Disney in his youth, and me, living closer, we only spent 'day trips' so I always thought it would be magical to stay on property. Looking forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete